OPPORTUNITY ZONES vs. 1031 EXCHANGES (April 24, 2019)
OPPORTUNITY ZONES vs. 1031 EXCHANGES (FIBI Westside – Culver City). SPEAKERS: BILL EXETER of EXETER 1031 EXCHANGE SERVICES and MAYER NAZARIAN of CKR LAW.
Opportunity Zones are a hot topic for real estate investors. That’s because Opportunity Funds not only offer a way to eliminate any capital gains taxes earned from their Opportunity Fund investments (under certain conditions), but they also offer investors the ability to defer and reduce their initial capital gains tax bill.
Does this mean Opportunity Funds are better than the good old 1031 Exchange strategy of tax deferment and wealth building?
In this tape you will learn highlights & basics of :
• How 1031 Exchanges Work
• How Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds work
• How to choose which one is best for you
• Why you may not be able to take advantage of an Opportunity Zone
• How to maximize your 1031 exchange dollars
• New rules regarding accelerated expensing, depreciation, or amortization of asset purchases and how it affects tax deferment strategies